As a core member of the leadership team, the Vice President of Finance and Operations will be responsible for leading SEED SPOT’s financial and operational management and contributing to the execution of the organization’s overall strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the VP will be charged with refining and implementing more sophisticated policies and procedures across the organization’s finance, resource development, and general operations. This is an outstanding opportunity for a nonprofit finance leader with operational experience to join a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
This role reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The VP of Operations & Finance is a member of the organization’s leadership team and oversees relevant consultants and team members. This role will also work closely with SEED SPOT’s development and communications teams.
The Vice President of Operations and Finance position requires a strong ability to build systems and processes while also being comfortable with ambiguity and adapting and revising existing systems as needed. The primary responsibility of the role will be to oversee and optimize the financial and operational functions of the organization. This includes developing and implementing financial strategies, managing budgets, and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
As VP of Operations and Finance, you will be instrumental in building robust systems and processes to support the organization’s growth and stability. This will involve developing scalable financial and operational frameworks, designing efficient workflows, and establishing and monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure and monitor the organization’s progress.
Your readiness to gather insight, make recommendations, and drive measurable progress in the absence of complete information is crucial. You should possess excellent problem-solving skills and be able to think strategically to anticipate future needs and challenges.
- Create financial components of the strategic plan working in partnership with the CEO and board of directors and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Manage the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present regular financial reports and metrics both internally and externally
- Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and SEED SPOT’s board of directors; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based accounting
- Coordinate all audit activities
- Collaborate with development colleagues and leadership team to develop and monitor the revenue pipeline and create robust financial forecasts and projections
- Monitor and track donor/gift restrictions
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance and operations staff and contractors
- In partnership with the Board and leadership team, lead thinking on investment strategies, reserve strategy/policy, and prospective endowment strategy
- Working with the VP of Strategy and the VP of Programs, develop and implement performance management processes that measure and evaluate progress against goals for the organization
- Refine all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, tools and administration recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward
- Oversee HR systems and processes and ensure HR practices are compliant and up-to-date
- Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations to provide the most competitive packages for employees
- Evaluate and, as necessary, upgrade and improve the organization’s database and information management infrastructure in Salesforce and other relevant systems
- Contribute to the review and vetting of revenue-generating activities and strategies
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and administer salary adjustments
Organizational Management and Leadership
- Serve as a member of the leadership team, contributing to the development of strategic plans, partnering on resource decisions, and guiding and leading a positive culture across the organization
- Monitor and advance organizational performance to ensure progress toward goals and overall advancement of the strategic plan
- Collaborate with the leadership team to share ideas, feedback, and advice on org-wide initiatives and to seek input on the initiatives you are leading
- Foster SEED SPOT’s efforts to build an inclusive culture and advance equitable internal policies and external outcomes
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental for employees, with 100% of monthly employee premiums paid by SEED SPOT
- Company sponsored 403(b) plan
- Unlimited PTO (that you’re encouraged to take!)
- Annual 2-week holiday office closure in December
- Fully remote work environment with flexible location and working hours
- A small, empowered, and engaged team with love for the mission, open communication, and an outstanding company culture!
- Understanding and passion for the role of inclusive entrepreneurship in building generational wealth and prosperity for historically marginalized communities
- 10 years of professional finance and operations experience, ideally in social impact or philanthropy; including experience leading the finance function during organizational growth
- Finance/accounting qualification is preferred, e.g. CPA or equivalent
- Fluency in accounting software and in Salesforce, and knowledge of database management and customization
- Knowledge of the roles of the finance and operational functions within a nonprofit organization
- Experience managing financial audits
- Experience presenting financials to a Board of Directors and being the primary finance staff interface with the Board and its Finance Committee
- Experience overseeing HR, IT, and related functions
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including flexibility to adapt to evolving demands and producing results
- Strong people management leading through collaboration and shared accountability with high emotional intelligence and comfort with agile role definition
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and operational initiatives
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical leader as well as a strategic thinker
About SEED SPOT:
SEED SPOT was founded in 2012 to empower entrepreneurs to launch and scale ventures that positively impact lives through new services, products, or technologies. Business ownership is directly correlated with decreased income inequality and is among the most powerful pathways to the long-term social and economic well-being of BIPOC and women+ communities (National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020). However, deep-rooted structural inequities, such as lack of access to expert mentorship and financial capital, cause underrepresented entrepreneurs to face significant barriers to building generational wealth and community prosperity through business ownership.
By equipping underrepresented entrepreneurs with tactical education, expert networks, culturally responsive mentorship, and non-predatory capital, SEED SPOT directly addresses the primary barriers to business ownership. Since 2012, we have served over 3,000 entrepreneurs, 76% of whom are BIPOC and women+ founders. Collectively, these entrepreneurs have generated over $300M in revenue, raised $122M in capital, and created over 5,300 jobs.
Equal Opportunity Employer: SEED SPOT is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace and we hire the most qualified candidates without regard for age, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, language differences, nationality or national origin, family or marital status, physical, mental, and developmental abilities (or the perception of a disability), genetic information, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, skin color, social or economic class, education, work and behavioral styles, political affiliation, military service, caste, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit form.jotform.com.